A newer version of this article has been written title,” Arsenal of Web Development Tools “.
People often ask me, “What program are you using to do that?” So here is a list of all of the tools I have on my work computer.
- FireFox 2 – The extensions make FireFox a far superior browser to any other for web development and testing code.
- Internet Explorer 7 – I use IE7 when FireFox doesn’t work (usually Microsoft pages) or when I am developing with ASP.NET 2.0.
- ColorZilla – Pick the color of any pixel in FireFox.
- IE Tab – View how IE will render a page from within FireFox.
- Download StatusBar – Inline downloads status instead of a pop-up.
- Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer – Backup your bookmarks and synchronize them accross multiple computers.
- Google Pagerank Status – Displays the pagerank of the page you are viewing on the statusbar.
- SEO for FireFox – Lookup various SEO-related information about any page.
- Web Developer Toolbar – Tons of tools to help you debug your page.
- iTunes – Podcasts, internet radio, syncs with iPod, need I say more?
- Last FM – Dynamically creates a internet radio station based on the music you like.
- Winamp Lite – A compact music player that doesn’t touch your system resources.
- Notepad++ – Highlights your code in a TON of different languages, tabbed interface, macros… all sorts of cool stuff that made me stop using notepad and switch to notepad++.
- Dreamweaver – Great file management that allows me to switch between projects quickly. Definitions of PHP functions built right into the editor.
- Flash – Interactive internet media development tool that is far superior to anything else I have seen.
- Visual Web Developer Express – Free for commercial use and a great development environment for ASP.NET 2.0. Formats code when I am cleaning up sloppy unnested code (Control+K, Control+D).
- Netbeans 5.5 – Java/JSP development environment that has built-in Tomcat server for fast local development.
- MySQL Query Browser – View, edit and update MySQL databases.
- Tortoise CVS – Repository for versioning files in the development processs.
Other Useful Tools
- JRuler – Measure the size of anything in pixels.
- Filezilla – Fast and lite FTP program.
- Texter – No more repetative typing! Setup hotkeys to stop typing the same thing over and over.
- Multiple IEs – Debug websites in old versions of IE.
- GAIM – Alternative to AOL Intant Messanger. It is basically AIM without the advertisments.
- IE7 Inline Search – Module that adds inline search to IE7 instead of a pop-up.
Whew, wipes sweat off forehead, that is my entire list of applications I use to get the job done. I hope you discover something in here that will make your day more productive and smooth!